Elsewhere, We Meet Ourselves
The manager behind the hotel counter
in Lagos looked up, paused for a second, and then flashed her lovely smile. It
was not the polite, transactional kind. She remembered me. I remembered her.
“Welcome, Dr. Mian. Welcome, Sir!”. There was a familiarity to it now. It had moved beyond
routine.
Over the next few minutes, between
check-in formalities, she told me more of her story. How she had grown into
this role. How those early opportunities had come her way - one in particular
resonated because the person behind it was well known to me. He also stayed at
the same hotel during work trips; during one of which he had quietly opened
that door for her to become the manager.
She
spoke simply about how things had unfolded.
These moments had started to matter more to me over time. The repeated trips to Lagos. The same roads from the airport. The congestion curling through the Mainland, Victoria Island, Ikoyi, and Lekki. The faces shifting from familiar to expected.
And somewhere along the way, the
city stopped feeling like elsewhere.
The workdays remained full.
Meetings. Hospital conference rooms, corridors, ICUs, OPDs, and more.
Discussions around systems, patient flow, workforce strain, dashboards, throughput.
Healthcare’s language of structure and outcomes.
Most evenings, after returning to
the hotel, I would put Afrobeats on almost automatically while answering emails
or half-heartedly attempting to write. Burna Boy. Wizkid. Tyla. Older blending
into newer sounds. I realized I was listening to it
less as foreign music and more as part of the background rhythm of life there.
By Friday and Saturday nights, another Lagos would emerge to me.
Far from the hospital boardroom, dance socials unfolded outdoors on patios overlooking the lagoon. Humidity lingering in the air, softened slightly by the breeze coming off the water. Salsa bleeding into bachata, then kizomba. Fairy lights hanging loosely through dense green vegetation. Banana fronds shifting gently overhead. At moments, it felt almost faintly reminiscent of Havana maybe, given the cigars and faded elegance. Not literally. Just in fragments. Rhythm, warmth, bodies moving easily through the night.
People arrived in pairs, in groups,
alone. Some extraordinary dancers. Gorgeous, really. Movement itself seemed
conversational.
Sometimes I danced. Sometimes I
mostly watched.
By Sundays, the atmosphere shifted
indoors to the dance studio itself. Less performance. More learning, awkwardness,
attention to detail, and reminders that one’s knees and lower back are no
longer aligned with one’s dance ambitions.
The lead instructor would move through the room almost like
a fusion Latin American-African dervish. Twirling, redirecting energy,
reorganizing bodies in motion without seeming to force anything at all.
A nod. A familiar greeting. Someone
asking where I had been the previous week. Space quietly made for you without
announcement. WhatsApp numbers exchanged.
Nothing dramatic.
That was partly why I kept returning
to the same ecosystem each week. Not because I had suddenly become a salsa
obsessive. That ship probably sailed decades ago. There were other things
sitting quietly underneath the repetition by then. Questions I did not entirely
have language for yet. Why did this rhythm feel restorative? What exactly was I
seeking here? Why did parts of my life elsewhere feel increasingly
over-structured?
That was also part of what unsettled
me slightly about Lagos. The ease of it. The openness. The relative absence of
performance around identity.
You noticed it in small things. In how conversations began.
In how they ended. In what was left unsaid.
The phrase surfaced almost on its
own.
It’s time for Africa.
Or
perhaps, more specifically, time for Naija.
It was impossible not to think of
Karachi then.
In many ways, Lagos felt oddly
familiar. The traffic. The noise. The unfinished flyovers. The concrete. The
energy crisis. The improvisation required simply to move through the day. Both
cities are sprawling coastal giants where order and disorder coexist in an
uneasy partnership.
Yet something felt different beneath
the surface.
Lagos carried the vibes of a place transforming,
with its sense of movement and ambition. Of people and institutions betting on
what might come next. That might explain why Afromusic now travels so
effortlessly across continents. In fact, it is not merely music. It feels like
a by-product of a society increasingly confident enough to export culture
rather than simply consume it.
Around
this time, another Nigerian voice had become a regular travel companion.
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Her TED Talk, The Danger of a Single Story,
and her novel Half of a Yellow Sun accompanied flights, hotel
evenings, and airport waits as my time in Lagos steadily increased. One was a
globally celebrated talk. The other a work of historical fiction. Yet both
offered something similar: a reminder that countries, cultures, and people become
distorted when reduced to a single narrative.
Many Pakistanis still speak of
Africa through inherited images: famine, conflict, coups, deprivation. Those
realities have not disappeared entirely. Neither have our own. But alongside
them sits another Africa too - investment, entrepreneurship, creativity,
infrastructure, and a growing sense that the world is paying attention.
Watching Lagos unfold, I sometimes
found myself wondering whether Karachi and Pakistan are receiving the same vote
of confidence. Not as criticism. More as curiosity.
And then, almost without warning, another
word from home intrudes.
Kaala. Kaali.
Black.
Used casually back home. Folded into
ordinary language. Sometimes jokingly, mostly cruelly, and so casually it
barely registers at all. A hierarchy embedded deeply enough into us that we
often stop noticing it.
And I am not outside this.
I have heard it. I have been called
it. Let it pass. Absorbed it into the background noise of growing up without interrogating
it closely enough.
But here, the framework feels
thinner somehow. Harder to sustain honestly. The people I was encountering did
not carry themselves as though they were waiting for permission to occupy space
fully.
That moment at the hotel counter
stays with me.
A woman doing her job. Greeting
someone she recognized. Sharing a piece of her journey. Standing in her space
with quiet ownership.
Between hospitals, hotel room
playlists, dance patios, and recognition in a city not mine, something has
shifted.
Maybe I have begun integrating into
Nigeria.
Or maybe Nigeria, slowly and without
announcement, has begun integrating into me.
At this point, I am not entirely
sure the distinction matters.
Acknowledgment: Originally published in the Express Tribune: What Lagos Taught Me.



Comments
Post a Comment