What Remains Beyond Monuments: A Different Kind of Travelogue
I met Jacob Shahid Masih years before I understood why I kept returning to him. We worked together briefly during a medical elective in a rather unassuming place in Northern Pakistan that quietly reshaped how I thought about faith, care, and belonging. I have written about that time before.
He was a nurse by training. Looking back, that almost
feels incidental. What stayed with me was the way he moved through the ward. He
never seemed in a hurry. He simply seemed present. With patients. With
suffering. With silence.
He sang.
Sometimes devotional songs in Punjabi. Sometimes playful ones in Urdu.
Sometimes simply because the moment could hold them.
I never
knew where one tradition ended and another began. I never thought to ask.
He never
appeared preoccupied with defending an identity. When conversations drifted
towards religion, he would usually smile before saying very little.
What mattered to him was doing the work well. Becoming
a little better than yesterday. Taking care. Staying grateful. Leaving room for
child-like imagination.
Being
around him left a residue I have struggled to describe ever since.
Even now,
when I think of Jacob, I hear his singing before I remember his face.
Years
passed. Life moved on, as it does. Yet every now and then, Jacob would return
to me for reasons I couldn't quite explain.
A few months ago, I wandered through
the Mesquita-Catedral in Córdoba, Spain. I found myself lingering far longer
than I had expected, moving slowly through its arches and columns, trying to
absorb not only its beauty but the centuries of history it had witnessed.
Only a few days ago, I found myself
beneath the Berliner Dom in Germany. A very different place. A very different
history. Yet
I found myself lingering in much the same way.
Both buildings are extraordinary.
They inspire awe almost instinctively. Yet the longer I spent within them, the
harder it became to separate religion from history, history from politics, and
politics from power.
These were never simply places of
worship. They were repositories of conquest and coexistence, reform and
resistance, memory and forgetting. They bore witness to humanity at its most
creative and, at times, its most destructive.
I found myself looking beyond the architecture. Beyond the
domes, stained glass, soaring ceilings, and craftsmanship.
Instead, I wondered about the
countless ordinary people who had prayed there, celebrated there, mourned
there, sought refuge there, or simply sat quietly with themselves over the
centuries.
As I
walked, more questions emerged.
Where was the language of
tenderness?
Of nurture?
Of what I could only describe as the
divine feminine?
I wasn't sure whether it was absent
or whether I simply wasn't seeing it. Perhaps I was asking the wrong places the
wrong questions.
Around the same time, those
questions found an unexpected echo in a film.
In Wake Up Dead Man, the
detective Benoit Blanc finds himself in conversation with a young priest,
Father Jed Duplenticy, inside a church every bit as grand as those I had
recently wandered through in Córdoba and Berlin. A place that almost demands
reverence before anyone has spoken.
Blanc is angry. Deeply so. And
understandably. His anger isn't directed at faith. It is directed at what
people sometimes do in its name. He speaks about misogyny, homophobia, abuse,
silence, and the protection that institutions can offer those who abuse power.
It is anger born not of cynicism,
but of love with nowhere left to go.
The priest responds very
differently. He doesn't argue theology. He doesn't defend the Church. He talks
about stories. About meeting people where they are. About connection before
certainty.
At first, I found it almost naïve.
Then I wasn't so sure.
The conversation never really
resolves. Nor should it. Blanc's anger remains justified. The priest's
vulnerability feels genuine. Neither wins.
Then the scene changes. Light
filters through the stained glass as the priest's voice begins to falter. He
stops speaking as someone representing an institution and starts speaking
simply as a person.
He says he has felt like a priest
for the first time. That line stayed with me.
It doesn't erase what came before.
It doesn't make Blanc any less right. But it quietly asks a different question.
What if vocation has less to do with defending institutions than with caring for the person standing in front of you?
The argument remains. And perhaps it should. Films, like
books, can illuminate. They can expose. They can even inspire. But eventually
the screen goes dark. We still have to decide how we want to live.
For that, I found myself returning
to Jacob. He would probably have smiled at the entire conversation and then
quietly gone back to work. What the detective named with anger, Jacob had long
recognized without becoming hardened. What the priest discovered through tears,
Jacob seemed to carry every day without needing to articulate it. He never
separated faith from care. They were simply woven into one another.
Jacob had never needed a monument.
The missionary hospital’s medical-surgical ward was enough.
Looking back, I think that is why I
kept returning to Jacob. The deepest lessons have rarely come from the
buildings. They have come from people.
Perhaps that is what remains. Not
certainty. Not monuments. People.
And the quiet ways they change us.
Additional Reading about Jacob.
Acknowledgment: Originally published in the Express Tribune: Beyond Monuments.





Comments
Post a Comment